Friday, July 18, 2014

"Ubuntu" (I Am Because You Are)

A few days ago, on my Facebook page, I posted something based on an observation I had made concerning Zambian politics and the local media. These days, whenever I listen to the news, or watch it on TV, or read the newspaper, one theme sticks out like a weed: the way politicians seem to be keenly and impatiently waiting on any news that the President is unwell, or that his health is failing. I have observed that several of these so-called politicians are so desperate to be in power that they go to the extent of wishing someone dead. What a shame!
What kind of times are we living in when you wish for the demise of your fellow human being as a stepping stone to power? Instead of wishing for death, why not take time to pray for the good health of our President? He is OUR President---YOURS and MINE, whether you like it or not! That is a fact. Now, I realize some people might coin me a “PF Cadre” after this, actually I am not; merely a concerned citizen. Why not take time to pray for the leadership of this country? Whatever happened to the spirit of “Ubuntu”? (Ubuntu is a Bantu term roughly translating to “human kindness.” It is an idea from the Southern African region which means literally “human-ness,” and is often translated as “humanity towards others,” and in a more philosophical sense, it means “the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity.” Ubuntu essentially means…I am because you are). Whatever happened in this so-called “Christian Nation”? Whatever happened to “One Zambia One Nation”?

I don’t know about you, but my heart bleeds when I see what’s happening to my beloved country. I don’t know if I can go around telling people I am a proud Zambian. I feel shame calling Zambia my home because of what is currently happening. Where are the youths of this country? Ever hear that phrase “Youths are the leaders of tomorrow.” I wonder how the youths of this country are going to lead when they’re getting high day in day out, seems alcohol is the new air to breathe for some youths today. We gotta make a change…


Time to get back to basics…

No comments:

Post a Comment