Friday, December 31, 2010

I refuse to be another black statistic!

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." ~Philippians 4:13

I have posted this note and poem previously on Facebook about a year and a half ago. Recently however, I have been doing a lot of thinking and re-evaluation of my life and the legacy I am leaving behind, and this poem has taken on a new meaning for my life. In one of my classes this past semester, we had to write a paper about self-awareness, and one of the topics we had to include was the legacy we wish to leave behind. Since then, I have given a lot of thought to the person I am, as well as the person I wish to become.


I have often found tremendous inspiration in music. There is just something about, and in music that speaks to my heart and helps bring comfort, joy and encouragement into my life. I am particularly fond of listening to Kirk Franklin because of the extent to which I identify with his songs and lyrics. On the particular day, I was listening to his album "The Fight of My Life" and the poem in his Outro caught my attention and really moved me. Thought I'd share those words with you...


Outro: Kirk Franklin- The Fight of my Life

I refuse to be another black statistic
A black man who can wine and dine in the sin of the world and still be considered a Christian
I plan on being great
I care not to be less
I refuse to wear a barcode across my chest
I refuse to let a black tee or throwback jersey define me
I refuse to let my children witness divorce
Or make mature decisions in court
I refuse to grow up carrying the generational curse
I refuse to feel the need to curse in my verse
I hate being automatically looked at when someone asks can anyone rap
I wanna be a black man that can flip it from urban to corporate measures
A black man who can rep Christ to the fullest with no regrets
My only regret is the stigma that many black statistics in the past have set
Like going to jail, bragging about bail, leaving our kids, cussing at church, married and you sill flirt, no father present at birth
Animosity within the ministers of our church
I refuse to let my people viewed as temporary
I plan on planting a seed not for the moment but for one that's legendary
As for statistics
My father broke the mode
And I feel it's my job for the next generation to continue in it
Because I refuse to be another black statistic

I am definitely encouraged by this poem to rise above what society calls the "norm", beyond other people's views of the person I am supposed to be. Instead, I look to God to find my identity. It is a phenomenal feeling to find your identity in Christ, to know His purpose and plans for your life, to know that you are at the center of His attention. What a blessing that is.

Be encouraged!



No comments:

Post a Comment